Little Malvern Priory
(Church of England)

 

Home

Contacts

Photographs

What's on 

Thoughts

Notices

Of Interest

Job Opportunities

Reports

Lectionary

Friends

PCC

Diocese

Lost and Found

LMP

The Building

The Window

The Bell

History

Site Map

            

       Professor Richard Marks,  International President of the Corpus Vitearum Medii Aevi has stated that "The glazing of the east window in Little Malvern Priory is an outstanding monument of English late medieval glass painting in both its imagery and craftsmanship."  He also states that the glass is of national importance.  He wrote the following letter to us.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Medieval Glazing of Little Malvern Priory Church

 The glazing of the east window of Little Malvern Priory is an outstanding monument of English late medieval glass painting in both its imagery and craftsmanship.  Depicted are the family of Edward IV and Elizabeth Woodville, including the future Edward V, on of the princes in the Tower.  Together with the ‘Royal’ window in Canterbury Cathedral, the Little Malvern glass in the only surviving monumental representation of the key Yorkist personalities in English 15th century history.  The patron, Bishop William Alcock, was Chancellor of England and president of the royal council, so the window can be located in the highest circles.  The glass is rich in colour and exhibits a standard or technical virtuosity appropriate for its regal subject matter.  It represents the top level of English glass-painting.  The Window can be firmly dated (itself a rarity) to 1480-2 and it is by a Malvern workshop headed by Richard Twygge and Thomas Woodshawe, which executed some of the most important glazing commissions carried out between the 1480’s and the early 16th century. Including the Great Malvern ‘Magnificat’ window, Tattershall College (Lincs) and Westminster Abbey nave.

The Little Malvern Glass is of sufficient national importance to be included in the ‘Glory of Gothic Art in England c1400-1547’, held in the Victoria and Albert Museum in 2004. 

Signed Professor Richard Marks

International President, the Corpus Vitrearum Medi Aevi

 

 

 

 
Send mail to bob.steel@sky.com with input, questions or comments about this website